Sunday, October 5, 2008

Good morning Boonton Fire Department is there a fire in my house?

The Boonton Fire Department showed up at my house this morning. It was kind of weird. I was told when I first moved in here that if there was a fire in my house that they would be here in seconds… well that’s true. I was still sleeping from too many beers at the St. Patrick’s Day hippie’s house and the fire call goes off. This is normal. The siren is in my backyard. It did wake me up but I ignored it and rolled over. Then my phone is ringing… its H. I ignore that too because I’m tired and I will see her later. Then I hear banging on my door. I figure its H and I’m thinking Jez I guess she really needs me. “What?!” I call in my raspy I’m not awake yet voice. It wasn’t H who opened my door, it was CJ dressed in full fire apparel. “There’s an alarm going off in your house, you need to come outside.” He informs me and then turns around and walks out. I did what he asked… not even stopping to put on shoes. I was fully dressed, I went to bed that way because I was drunk. It was all so weird and I was like WTF? Basically… The trucks were all out on the street, and there were firemen and women all over the place… Jack, CJ, & Ray and a couple others I knew from living next door. they were all looking at me… I was like uh… sorry guys. I called H back and sat on the porch steps.

H: Are you ok? Me: Ya. I’m good you guys heard the call huh? It’s the alarm upstairs in Jim’s place. H: Ya we heard it on James’ radio. What happened? Me: Not sure yet I gotta go though and find out. H: Ok call me back.

The chief called me over and asked if I knew how to get in touch with Jim, I said yup and blew up his phone. I called him and his sister Kurry three times each and then left a message with Jim. According to the chief and CJ they were cleaning the firehouse and they heard the alarm going upstairs. Since no one was answering the door, they had to sound the alarm to get in there. Jack and a couple of the other guys came down form Jim’s place with the smoke detector still blaring. They brought it to the truck, changed the batteries and it was all over. Jim called me back and I put him on the phone with the chief. Ray teased me about being in my socks… I told him CJ told me I had to come out and I did… shoes weren’t really on my mind. Then he commented on the fact that they didn’t match. Lol. Well I dunno socks are socks. Is it safe to go back in? I inquired. CJ said I dunno I’ll ask the chief. And so it was. Just like that the street was completely quiet again. I got my shoes on and went for coffee.

I guess this whole leaving Boonton thing is going to be eventful after all.

Thanks again BFD for your quick response and for keeping me safe.

1 comment: