Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Grandfather still defines Faith even though he left us in 2006

Today like most Sundays this month I made it to church. I made it to the eleven o’clock service this time, which was Grandma and Grandpa’s usual service. It’s quieter and there is an elder crowd than the 9 am service. Odd thing though today, I was not alone in the pew, I grabbed a bulletin and sat down, I had actually taken two. So I think Grandpa was sitting beside me at the service today.

After the service a couple of folks recognized me and said hello to me. The ones who did not asked my name. “My name is Jessica”, I told them. “I’m Cal and Marie’s granddaughter.” They were so happy to see me and had questions about Grandma. One man came up and said “You are talking to a Coats. Her grandfather was a fantastic man; he in himself was the definition of faith!” He exclaimed. I thanked him through some tears. I was so honored that I was from the same family of a man that is spoken so highly of especially from some folks that I am not really sure who they are. I am sure I will learn everyone’s names soon again but I could not remember them now. She told me that when she became a member of the church that Grandma and Grandpa showed her the ropes. He had helped her a lot. I left there this afternoon so proud and honored by the words of these folks. I would love to be just like Grandpa. In many ways I am, but he moved so many people and so many lives that his reputation precedes him. Anyone who knew his has fantastic things to say about him not just in the church, but in the community and in the Masonic world as well. His work is still being done and he left us the summer of 2006. I can only hope to be half as good as my Grandpa. It is such an honor to think of him these days and this day in particular.

Today we also had Communion. One more memory I have to share about my church and Grandparents is one about Holy Communion. Grandma used to do the flowers in the back. Every Sunday that church did communion Grandma would come home with the leftover bread and grape juice. That was always a nice treat. I always felt a little silly that we had the body and blood of Christ in our refrigerator but it was always really yummy. Also the smell of fresh cut flowers in the back room and the coffee cans that were piled in Grandma’s house so she could put the flowers and Grandpa could run them to the people that they were set aside for after the service.

My grandparents were very special to the church and they are so loved there and very much missed. I can only hope to be that strongly connected to my faith and my church family. I am working on it. It is week 4 now and I have not missed a service. I love getting back to my roots it feels good.
~ JLC

No comments:

Post a Comment